Disaster Number 1822
02/17/2009 - Severe Winter Storm
On January 26, 2009 a winter storm entered southern Missouri causing widespread damage and power outages. Some southern areas of Missouri received as much as two and a half inches of ice. In addition to the ice, some areas received up to seven inches of snow. The storm was responsible for six fatalities, and left several Missouri cities without power for more than a week. Utility companies reported more than 135,000 customers without power at the storm’s peak. More than 2,000 Missourians stayed in 35 shelters that were set up. State agencies delivered generators to support local sheltering and public utility operations.
On Jan. 26, Gov. Jay Nixon declared a State of Emergency, which allowed state agencies to assist local jurisdictions with their emergency protective actions. On Jan. 28, Gov. Nixon mobilized 100 members of the Missouri National Guard to provide assistance to residents of southern and southeast Missouri. On the same day, Gov. Nixon requested an expedited major disaster declaration for Missouri. The President granted a federal Emergency Disaster declaration on January 30, which provided direct federal assistance to the state.
On Feb. 6, Gov. Nixon asked President Barack Obama for a major disaster declaration in Missouri as a result of the storms.
On Feb. 17, President Obama approved the request for a major disaster declaration, providing Public Assistance. The declaration included 20 counties. Those counties were Bollinger, Butler, Cape Girardeau, Carter, Dunklin, Howell, Madison, Mississippi, New Madrid, Oregon, Ozark, Pemiscot, Reynolds, Ripley, Scott, Shannon, Stoddard, Stone, Taney and Wayne.
On Feb. 24, Barry County was approved for assistance, bringing the total number of counties included with the declaration to 21.
The major disaster declaration provided public assistance to the declared counties for emergency protective measures, debris removal, and permanent work to repair or replace facilities damaged by the severe storms.
Related Media Releases
- 02/17/09 - Gov. Nixon's request for major disaster declaration for counties hit by ice storms granted by President Obama
- 02/06/09 - Gov. Nixon Requests Major Disaster Declaration to Assist Communities Impacted by Winter Storms
- 02/01/09 - Gov. Nixon adds additional Soldiers and Airmen to southeast Missouri
- 01/31/09 - Missouri Guard response increases to support continued need
- 01/30/09 - Gov. Nixon increases response of Missouri National Guard to support continued recovery efforts from winter storm
- 01/30/09 - Gov. Nixon deploys 50 additional National Guard soldiers to aid recovery efforts in southeast Missouri
- 01/30/09 - President Obama issues Disaster Declaration for Missouri at request of Gov. Nixon
- 01/28/09 - Gov. Nixon seeks expedited federal assistance for Missouri in wake of winter storm
- 01/28/09 - Gov. Nixon mobilizes National Guard to help residents of southern, southeast Missouri after winter storm
- 01/26/09 - Gov. Nixon issues order for disaster response to winter storm