Missouri Voluntary Agencies Active in Disaster (Missouri VOAD)
Missouri VOAD's main goal is to increase disaster recovery cooperation, coordination, communication, education, and to improve legislation dealing with disaster response, recovery and mitigation. Missouri VOAD also seeks to coordinate with National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster to foster more effective service through mitigation and response for the benefit of people affected (imperiled and impacted) by disaster through:
- Cooperation: To create a climate of cooperation at all levels (including grassroots) to provide information.
- Coordination: To coordinate policy among member organizations and to serve as a liaison, advocate and national voice.
- Communication: To disseminate information through the newsletter, the director, research and demonstration, case study and critique.
- Education: To increase mutual awareness and understanding of each organization.
- Convention Mechanisms: To arrange for such meetings and conferences as necessary to accomplish the purpose of Missouri VOAD.
- Legislation: To encourage effective disaster relief legislation and policy.
Missouri VOAD membership
Membership can be obtained by any non-profit voluntary organization with a constitutional reference and that supports an organized disaster response program. The services and resources of each organization must be available to all disaster victims. Representatives of county and state agencies are encouraged to have liaison involvement with Missouri VOAD. Their advice and expertise should be sought and encouraged. These representatives serve as ex-officio members and do not hold voting privileges.
Members participating and voting at any Missouri VOAD meeting shall be designated representatives of participating organizations and shall have one vote. Written proxies are acceptable if presented to the chairperson prior to the meeting.